Tinfoil opened up a couple of weeks ago, serving as a fairly persistent and easy-to-use place to discuss digital security and journalism. Very cool to see how we've got so many people interested in these issues (now around 100) in the same place, coming from nonprofits, academia, media orgs, and other businesses, as well as folks working independently. It's also exciting to see people talking about security questions from the real world - as well as hypotheticals - sharing security resources, talking pedagogy, as well as surfacing a lot of general food for thought.
I want to keep everyone on the same page about how Tinfoil is evolving, so this is a general brain dump about what's going on.
- I've been talking to @eugene at Auth0 about integrating a Discourse plug-in that will let everyone use multi-factor authentication either (1) on their Tinfoil account, or (2) through Google. (Huge thanks to Auth0!) The idea is that many of us have already set up MFA on Google.
- I've been talking to a couple of friends in news orgs about how to support Tor hidden services.
Some problems I'm running into:
- Discourse plugins are giving me hell. After a lot of troubleshooting on multiple forums, I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to have to reinstall Discourse on the server, and then restore it with a backup. In practice this means Tinfoil will need a few hours of maintenance some time soon.
- Discourse's nginx isn't playing nice with the forced SSL configuration I'm using now. I'm getting some assistance on this.
Some questions for everyone:
- Anything else you'd like to see?
- What's on your mind?
Happy to chat about this stuff.